Board Update Week of June 8, 2020
License renewal for dentists will begin on July 1, 2020. Information on completing your online renewal will be sent the week of June 22, 2020. A few reminders in preparation of renewal are below.
- The 12-hour limit on self-study activities has been lifted for this renewal cycle. All continuing education during this period can be taken online.
- Dentists who prescribed opioids during the previous two-year period are required to complete a minimum of one hour of continuing education on the subject of opioids. The training shall include the following:
- Guidelines for prescribing opioids, including recommendations on limitations of dosages and the length of prescriptions;
- Risk factors for abuse; and
- Non-opioid and non-pharmacologic therapy options.
The continuing education course on opioids may be counted towards the renewal requirement of 30 hours of continuing education. In the event the course does not cover the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain, those guidelines should be reviewed. They can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm.
For licensees and registrants whose CPR certification expiration date falls within the time period beginning January 1, 2020 and ending on December 31, 2020: the requirement for a hands-on clinical component is waived. These licensees and registrants may recertify through an on-line CPR course.
The Board has started issuing temporary licenses pursuant to a Proclamation of the Governor. Information on temporary licenses, in addition to the names of individuals who have been issued a temporary license, can be found here: https://dentalboard.iowa.gov/practitioners/temporary-licenses.
Board Guidelines for the Safe Transition Back to Practice
As a reminder, these guidelines, required by Governor Reynolds Proclamation of Disaster Emergency, are still in effect. They are currently set to expire at 11:59 p.m. on June 25, 2020. The guidelines and all FAQ documents can be found here: https://dentalboard.iowa.gov/covid-19-updates/boards-guidelines-safe-transition-back-practice-faqs