Dental Assistant Trainees
Dental assistant trainees are individuals who are engaging in on-the-job training to meet the requirements for registration, and who are learning the necessary skills under personal supervision. Trainees may also engage in on-the-job training in dental radiography pursuant to Board rules.
To receive dental assistant trainee status, an individual must submit an application to the Board for review and approval.
Dental assistant trainee status is valid for practice for a maximum of twelve (12) months. If trainee status has expired, the trainee must meet the requirements for registration and receive a certificate of registration in order to practice as a dental assistant. The dental assistant trainee shall meet the following requirements:
- Within 12 months of employment, the dental assistant trainee shall successfully complete a course of study and examination in the areas of infection control, hazardous materials, and jurisprudence. The course of study shall be prior approved by the Board and sponsored by a Board-approved postsecondary school.
- Prior to satisfactorily completing 12 months of work as a dental assistant, the trainee must apply to the Board to be reclassified as a registered dental assistant.
- Dental assistant trainee status is valid for practice for a maximum of 12 months. If trainee status has expired, the trainee must meet the requirements for registration and receive a certificate of registration in order to practice as a registered dental assistant.
- Notwithstanding the previous paragraphs, the expiration date for dental assistant trainee status for a person enrolled in a cooperative education or work-study program through an Iowa high school shall be extended until the trainee is 17 years of age and a high school graduate or equivalent. However, a dental assistant trainee under 18 years of age shall not participate in dental radiography.
The following requirements must be met:
- Application completely filled out.
- Application fee paid.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate.
- Applicant must be at least 17 years of age.
- Submit a Statement of Applicant (signed & dated by applicant).
- Submit a Statement of Employer (signed & dated by supervising dentist).
- If an applicant is a nurse, submit proof of current licensure with the Iowa Board of Nursing
Please note: Iowa Administrative Code 650--Chapter 20 required that you must have been issued an active dental assistant trainee status by this office prior to starting work as a dental assistant trainee in Iowa.