The Board's mission is to ensure that all Iowans receive professional, competent, and safe dental health care of the highest quality. The Board does this by administering and enforcing the provisions of Iowa law that relate to the practice of dentistry, dental hygiene and dental assisting. In pursuit of this mission, the Iowa Dental Board performs these primary functions:
· Adopts rules and establishes standards for practitioners pursuant to its authority under Iowa Code;
· Issues licenses, registrations, and permits to qualified dentists, dental hygienists and dental assistants;
· Sets standards for the licensure or registration of practitioners and applicable and permits;
· Enforces Iowa laws, which regulate the practice of dentistry, dental hygiene and dental assisting and investigate complaints concerning violations of the dental practice act and Board rules;
· Conducts disciplinary hearings and actively monitors the compliance of licensees with Board orders;
· Conducts infection control and sedation inspections.